Ayurvedic medicine was developed in India more than 3,000 years ago. It’s a holistic healing system. As such, it’s based on the idea that health depends on properly balancing mind, body, and spirit.[i]
A disruption in balance leads to illness.
Bacopa monnieri, or brahmi, is an important component of Ayurvedic practice. It’s a flowering plant that can live underwater. It’s often used in aquariums.
Bacopa’s health benefits are varied and impressive…
1. Sharpens memory. Researchers conducted a study published in the journal Psychopharmacology. Participants took tests to gauge memory and information processing. Half the subjects then took 300 mg of Bacopa daily. The rest took a placebo. After 12 weeks, the Bacopa group had improved cognitive skills.[ii]
2. Reduces inflammation. Chronic inflammation is a major culprit in causing cancer, heart disease, Alzheimer’s, and diabetes. A test tube study from the University of Montana found that Bacopa inhibits cytokines. These are proteins that stimulate an inflammatory immune response.[iii]
A study published in the Indian Journal of Experimental Biology induced inflammation in mice. Scientists gave the rodents Bacopa. The herb reduced inflammation as effectively as a common anti-inflammatory drug.[iv]
3. Fights Alzheimer’s. A study published in Phytotherapy Research looked at the effects of Bacopa on mice with Alzheimer’s. The herb reduced levels of beta-amyloid in the animals’ brains. Beta-amyloid is linked to Alzheimer’s.[v]
4. Relieves pain. More than 20% of adult Americans suffer from chronic pain.[vi] Research published in the journal Current Medicinal Chemistry found Bacopa is a strong pain reducer. The scientists compared it to morphine. They suggested it has potential in chronic pain management.[vii]
5. Has anticancer properties. Researchers found compounds derived from Bacopa induced apoptosis (cell death) in human brain tumors. The study concluded Bacopa “may effectively inhibit disease progression.”[viii]
Bacopa-induced apoptosis was again found in a skin-cancer mouse study. Topically applied, the compound reduced tumors by 65%.[ix]
6. Reduces ADHD symptoms. A study published in Advances in Mind-Body Medicine gathered 31 ADHD subjects. Researchers gave them 225 mg of Bacopa daily. After six months, ADHD symptoms—inattention, impulsivity, and restlessness—were reduced in 85% of subjects.[x]
Bacopa is safe, but some people have side effects. These include nausea and stomach cramps.[xi]
It may interact with medications, so consult your doctor before using it. Doses used in human studies range from 300 to 450 mg daily.
Bacopa is available online and in health food stores.
The effectiveness of Ayurvedic medicine continues to be verified by modern science. Why not take advantage of the wisdom of ancient healers?